Monday, September 14, 2015

Why tears are heavy



Ever wonder why tears are so heavy?

Tears are often contagious and on the outside they give the impression they cause harm. So much so that our first reaction is to try to make them stop. Our own tears or tears of a family member or friend we mostly react the same. We want them to stop but tears have healing properties if you just let them fall. For me, in my life, tears water my soul. They prevent me from drowning in sorrow when ravaged with grief. Soothe heartache (which often goes unnoticed to my mind because it can be a very, very, slow process). And over time tears dilute regrets so they sting less. Tears have the power to carve a path for remembrances to spontaneously erupt with unabashed laughter. Much like a playful dolphin breaking through the surface, dancing in the air briefly with pure joy.

Ever wonder what causes that sparkle on the water? I'm not a scientist but I am certain it is the light of joy emitting from millions of shared moments of lives and love lost but not forgotten.

Tears are meant to be and they do good work. So when I grieve, if you feel comfortable to do so, do give me a hug, a shoulder to lean on, squeeze my hand tightly so I can feel the strength of your heart with mine. Know my sorrow is mine. My grief is mine. If I have anger it too is mine. You cannot "fix" me nor I you but together we can share those memories and hold each other up and I will honor your grief, your pain, and your anger in kind.

For those who have fresh wounds know that love never dies and wherever they are they will love you from there just as you will continue to love them from here.

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Love is kind (often tearful), and I'm ok with that.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Right Where We Are

 A murder of crows A bouquet of toes A gaggle of geese A mouth full of teeth A herd of cows An eye full of wows A star in the night A wish w...