Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Kiddo, Uncle Sonny, Mother, two Dads and counting

What triggers your memories?

I will always think of Kiddo, my grandmother every time I hear a soprano sing in a church choir above all the other voices. No matter how many or how loud others were singing, we could always hear Kiddo sing above all the others. Both my Great Uncle Sonny and my father-in-laws passing have left such deep wounds they have yet to heal and I expect there will still be a wound when it is my turn to leave this earth. Yellow ribbons. That's just one of my memory triggers for Uncle Sonny. Up to the time of his passing, he was the only man in my entire life that had never left me. I loved him unconditionally as a child and looked forward to each weekday morning of burned toast, oatmeal, and Tang.
I so wanted him to stay I tied yellow ribbons on his hospital bed rail in hopes he would see my signal and stay just a bit longer. Just one more kiss and hug. Just one more. I cried for days and wrote a poem that I placed in his jacket pocket on the day of the funeral. It was the only option left to say goodbye. I miss him.

I still see the pain and anguish on my father-in-laws face before he was moved from the hospital to hospice. I would feed him Jello and try to make him laugh but each day he slipped further and further and soon his whispered voice spoke no more. When I just couldn't watch him suffer needlessly anymore I said "Dad, your breaking my heart! You don't have to be a hero. Please Dad let them give you the pain medicine." I still have the memory of his anguished face. Especially his face but his whole visible body flushed with red as he nodded his head in agreement. He was hurt for causing my heartache and my heartache was from seeing his pain. Four years later and it still brings tears to my eyes. I raced to the nurses station and told them he had agreed to take pain medication. For now I will embrace this memory and hope for a happier one to emerge.

The smell of fresh asphalt resurrects memories of my Dad. Mother left me with her image and I see her reflection not mine each time I look in the mirror. And there are a couple of songs, The Lion Sleeps Tonight also known as "Wimoweh", Teach Your Children Well a song by Graham Nash that keep her memory alive in me.

My Aunt June, my favorite Aunt June left this world just recently and I will never look at a Minion or crayons the same.  I was honored to speak at her funeral. She was a delight to know and easy to love. Her passing has elevated me to a full fledged adult but I still want to be like her when I grow up.

Physically gone but our circle of family and friends will live forever in the memory of our hearts and minds. Those sweet memories that come unexpectedly bring the most joy. I believe that it is the memory of our loved ones that create sparkle in the world. The sky, the stars, lakes, rivers, streams and oceans. Maybe that is why I am drawn to shiny things . . .

Love is kind (and shines forever).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Right Where We Are

 A murder of crows A bouquet of toes A gaggle of geese A mouth full of teeth A herd of cows An eye full of wows A star in the night A wish w...